Sunday, July 11, 2010

"What a Friend We Have in Jesus"





Although well into his seventies, the Pastor of the church I attend is really quite up to date. He began his sermon today with FACEBOOK as his first illustration on his theme of having Jesus as a friend.

The hymns we sang had such friendship as a base for his theme.

“Oh, Jesus I have promised to serve Thee to the end
           Be Thou forever near me, My Master and my Friend.”


My personal all time favorite song is the hymn, What a Friend We Have in Jesus! My grandmother sang it to me as a youngster. Maybe, because she liked it so well, it became a favorite of mine. It is a song that really touches my heart, and I find very uplifting.
This was our closing hymn today.

Music was written by Charles C. Converse in 1868. I don’t know anything about Mr. Converse.

The words were written by Joseph M. Scriven in 1855 to his mother in the form of a poem as she dying. The poem was put aside and later found among her effects. Mr. Scriven did not receive credit for it for almost thirty years. Although Mr. Scriven was raised in a prosperous home, he had much adversary in his life, including the loss of two women he loved very much and died just before each of the planned weddings—one drowned; the other had TB. Yet through all this, Jesus was still close to him.

Coming out of Church, I mentioned that my two favorite hymns were included today. “What a Friend…” and “How Great Thou Art” which was played before the service started.

The woman to whom I was speaking, thought “What a Friend” was very depressing. I, on the other hand, oft sing it when I am most down in the dumps and find it uplifting.

It goes to show that two people can see or hear the very same thing and get two totally different views. I guess that can be true on anything in life. That is what makes us individuals!

Anyway, it is still my favorite hymn!

What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge, take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you? Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield you; you will find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised Thou wilt all our burdens bear
May we ever, Lord, be bringing all to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright unclouded there will be no need for prayer
Rapture, praise and endless worship will be our sweet portion there.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the message in this hymn. (Your Forsyth friend!)

    ReplyDelete