Sunday, June 27, 2010

Travelers Championship at the TCP in Cromwell, Connecticut

These pictures have nothing to do with the up and coming blog, but they are purdy!



The “Spectacular” Finish of the Travelers


These were the words of the sports announcers on TV today which we were watching the Travelers Championship. This event has been running more than fifty years. It has been called “The Insurance City Open” and “Greater Hartford Open.” It has had attached to its name the likes of Sammy Davis, Jr., Canon, and Buick. This tournament has survived name and sponsorship changes on a regular basis. But the important thing is that it has survived. I don’t often watch golf, but this tournament is a bit closer to me than most.

I guess if I were to pick a favorite professional golfer, it would be Phil “Lefty.” Lefty does not usually play in this tournament. Another favorite, one who has played fairly regularly in Cromwell (the current venue for this tournament—the TCP in Cromwell, CT), is Scott Verplank. Why would I pick Mr. Verplank, you ask! Well, in watching him play today an old memory surfaced.

All the insurance companies in the area are sponsors of one sort or another. My “company” sponsored the eighteenth hole. The tournament includes a Pro-Am (or a day for celebs) Day. All the companies ask for volunteers to work their sponsored area. At one time, it was a paid day, but probably not any more. Several changes have been made in this phase too. At one time, you could pick one, two or all the days. Then, one would only get a day off if one were to work at least one of the weekend days as well. Now, probably it would cost one to participate…I don’t know.

In 2001 I was working as a temp for a large insurance company in the area (not Travelers). The Open was approaching; so I volunteered for the day with the celebs. Well, not too many well known people participated that year. (When Sammy Davis was participating, loooooots of celebrities came).

In volunteering, one had to buy one’s own golf shirt (I still have mine). We also hadto get to the golf course reallllllllly early in the morning. The first person I saw that I knew was our local weatherman—Scott Haney. Wow, who else might I see!  I am not one to be particularly excited over celebrities.  I actually prefer sport personalities to other types (music, movies, etc).  Several former UCONN alumni who now played in the NBA shared the golf course with their golfing professional counterparts.  They were fun to see.

My job was to be crowd control. They gave me one of the “QUIET” signs to use when golfers were about to put the club to the ball. Next to me was Vinnie who recognized my OES ring. He was a member as well. I sorta recognized him, but did not really know him. We got to be quick close friends.

Governor John Rowland was one of those playing with the professional golfers…two amateurs and two professionals in each group—obviously, a foursome. Governor Rowland whacked the ball from the mid fairway which had been his first hit right smack into the hole in front of me. This was kind of exciting!  But, as it turned out, he was probably the most well known amateur playing. Oh, well!

As the day moved along, a golfer hit a ball into the rough between Vinnie and me. It was hit by none other than Scott Verplank. This was not yet “tournament” play, but Scott did something that we did not expect. He asked if either of us were golfers. I am not. Vinnie said he sort of played at it. Scott offered to let Vinnie use his club and asked if he would like to send it unto the green. Vinnie was so excited that he almost missed hitting the ball. We talked about that moment for a very long time. I do not see Vinnie much any more, but it is always a “remember when” moment.

I know that Mr. Verplank has had some health problems over the years and has not played a lot. But, this year while watching him on TV, at the fifteenth hole, he lifted the ball out of the bunker with a beautiful swing that put it into the hole, I came out of my seat. Great shot!

The regulation game ended in a three way tie and my boy Scott was one of them—C. Pavin, B. Watson, and Scott Verplank. I make a lot of noise when a sporting event excites me. I was yelling (did not have my QUIET sign close by) from my chair cheering for him. It did not help. Bubba was the final victor after two holes of sudden death.

I am happy to see Scott playing so well, however. And, I am blessed with the memory of a generous man who made another person so very happy. Thank you, Scott. Best wishes for upcoming tournaments.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment