Tuesday, August 24, 2010

BEALE ST: Elvis sings to Molly

Elvis Sings to Molly




Our hosts in Memphis had invited us to come early and dine with them at their home. An alternative was to go to a local restaurant, but it was quite hot. So, Susan decided upon eating in.



After dinner, Susan and Kirk drove us to downtown Memphis. We grabbed a trolley for the Riverside Loop. Cost for seniors is a real bargain at $.50. The River Loop loops around the city—goes by Sun Records, where Elvis first recorded, the pyramid, and follows the Mississippi River and then loops back into the downtown area. It stops in front of the motel at which Dr. King was killed. There is a large wreath on the banister at the site. We did not get off, but continued back to the place where we had started.




A portion of Beale Street is closed to traffic on Friday and Saturday nights.  There is all kinds of entertainment.  We watched some street gymnasts doing their various flips for a while.  Music coming from every corner.  Every nook and cranny has some sort of music or other entertainment.  Blues is dominate from many of the clubs and restaurants.  The streets are flooded with wall to wall people...everyone seems to be happy and in a good mood.  Steve does not really like being in crowds.  But like me, he was really impressed with the crowds.  There is some reconstruction and renovation continually happening.  Some of the very old buildings have been torn down with the exception of the front facade.  Gives an interesting look to the place.









Our host, Kirk, had worked as an usher at the Orpheum when he was in his early teens.  He told us how he had to wear a bow tie.  Over the years, it became old and somewhat decrepit.  But, through renovation, it now looks like new and probably as it did in its glory days.  Lots happening on Beale Street.  Fun, high energy.










Susan and Kirk are the parents-in-law to Rayford, an Elvis impersonator. Now, I have never particularly been an Elvis fan. I did like some of his music and even some of his movies, but never cared to watch him on stage. When I called Susan, she asked me if I was an Elvis fan. NEVER say to anyone in the Memphis area that you are not a fan.  My answer was "not particularly!"  I lived to be embarrassed over that statement.
Beale Street, famous for its music…blues is home here. On the weekend evenings (we were there on a Friday night) several blocks of Beale Street are cordoned off. High visibility of police around. Various horse-drawn carriages abound. Some look like Cinderella’s coach. We noticed that almost every one of these carriages carried a dog in its front seat. We did not take a ride as our goal was a club in which Rayford was singing. We went and listened for a while. There was another gentleman, also an Elvis impersonator visiting from New Mexico, as well. His first name is Ray. Both sang. Both were very enjoyable.

I do not think there was a cover charge, but I could be wrong since we were guests of the in-laws.  Steve had a beer.
After a while, Rayford, “invited” me up on the stage, sat me down and sang “Welcome to My Heart.” It was a good song for me. They say horses sweat, men perspire and women glisten. Well, I can tell you, I certainly was glistening…huge drops of glisten were running down my back. It was embarrassing, exhilarating and so very much fun. I was further embarrassed when MY Elvis announced to the audience what I had told Susan-- that I was not a particular fan. But, I guess they forgave me. He also told the audience something else that I had mentioned to Susan. That was that we lived in a town with a sole blinking light (no other traffic lights). But that did not bother me as that is exactly how my town can be described.

Ray, the second Elvis, also had an opportunity to sing.  Both we quite good. 

The evening was thoroughly enjoyable. Thanks to all of you for this added attraction. This is something we never would have done on our own. And something we will NEVER forget.

If one were inclined, one could spend hours there with absolutely free entertainment (except for parking fees).  Of course, that is probably unlikely, as there are so many restaurants and bars and other ways to spend money.  But, truly, one can have a great inexpensive evening by doing a lot of people watching and wandering around, talking to folks, hearing some great music and learning a bit of local history.

Our hosts have met people on the street that have become life long friends.  The have hosted some of these visitors to Memphis in their home.  I cannot say enough about this evening.

Our room held lots of Elvis memorabilia, including a framed picture of him in his youth. The room was comfortable.


I love staying with local people. They know where the fun is and how to get to there—the shortcuts and places to park. It beats sitting in a motel room by a million miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment