Friday, December 25, 2009

St. Franics House

Have a Merry and Blessed Christmas

Matthew 25:35: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:


One thing that I have always wanted to do was to help at a shelter or soup kitchen.  The opportunity always slipped away.  Well, not this year.  I made the opportunity happen.  CHRISTMAS MORNING!

Since Steve and I do not have family in Florida and most of our friends have left to be with their families, we thought this would be a good time to give some time.  I did have one invitation from a friend to join her and her family for dinner.  But, I really wanted to work for someone else.

I had asked at church if there was anything local at which we could work and partiicpate.  No one knew of anything.  Ann Gay mentioned the Salvation Army and St. Francis House in Gainesville.  I called the SA and got no answer.  Then, I tried St. Francis House in Gainesville.  They told me that there was an "open" call starting at 7:00 am.  WOW.  It's still dark then.  But we got up a bit after six.  By the time we feed our critters, did our morning stuff and got there, it was close to 7:30.

Now, the City of Gainesville has a VERY STUPPPPID Ordinance regarding the St. Franics House.  They are allowed to feed only 139 for each meal.  St. Francis is a not-for profit organization which houses, feeds and helps to educate the homeless and less fortunate.  What happens if 150 show up for a meal.  Does one tell the eleven they have to leave!!  The director is an extremely compassionate man.  I talked to him at length.  Apparently, the City has relented in there hard-nosed approach and has allowed St. Francis to "average" the number served.  I can tell you that today's service had to knock the average out of the park.

I will really impressed with the level of caring at St. Francis.  They operate primarily on donations. They offer shelter with several rooms available, as well as food. Today they started with 400 pounds of turkety.  It was cooked when we arrived, but had to come off the bone.  When we first arrived, there were a couple dozen people helping; at the peak of today's service,  there were over one hundred volunteers.  The director said "junp in where ever you see a need." 

\The menu was quite extensive::  fruit cup, turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, green beans, cranberry sauce, baked mac & cheese, dressing (aka stuffing)..  Various breads with butter were placed on the tables. 

When we first arrived, we opened a zillion cans of green beans, cranberry sauce, various and sundry fruit--fruit cocktail, peaches, pears, pineapple--and even a can of strawberries-- which were melded together in one large bowl.  A bit of cocoanut was thrown in as well.

The next project with which I got involved was deboning the turkey  Not much one can add to this messy job, but twenty-ish turkeys had to be done..

The old adage of "Many Hands Make Light Work!" proved itself once again.   The meals were all ready to go into ovens, warming ovens and refrigerators.  And, then we had some down time.  All these volunteers worked so quickly that we had some down time.  They said this year there were more than ever--both volunteers and those in need.

Their was tons of dessert which an assembly line put on plates and covered with plaster wrap.  There were many toooooooooo many desserts, but they will used them for other meals.

St. Francis wants all their clients to feel special. They want every person that comes through to be presented with a tray of food. So, many of the volunteers, walked through the line with a tray which was filled by other volunteers.  We then carried one tray to a new arrival.  Service stated shortly after 10:00 am.  Steve and I stood in the line and passed out our firstt tray.  Steve is rather impatient and did not wish to wiat in line again.  So, he grabbed an icedtea pitcher (sweetened, of course....ICK) and started refilling cups.  I went through the line seven times.  Every time I went through the line, it was shorter.  I guess people really did not like standing in the line.  Some found other things to do; others, left.

There was one group of people in line who like to sing.  They were generally behind me.  They sang a great group of Christmas Carols (songs that feature the birth of Christ) and holiday music (Jingle Beels, The Christmas Song, Winter Wonderland--com'on folks this is Florida--we don't want to have a winter wonderland, etc.)

After the initial serving, as people finished their meals, new people came in.  They had beem waiting in the rain in line.  In addition to filling cups, Steve was one of several people who directed the tray carriers to new arrivals.

Besides the food, each person that came through the door got a "Christmas stocking."  Actually, it was a pair of white socks one inside the other filled with soap, shampoo, etc.  The kids got their own special pair with goodies.  There were also toys for the kids.

Many families brought their children to help serve.  Great teaching lesson for those who got everything they wanted under their trees.

The whole experience tugged at my heart strings, but seeing the kids come through was the most difficult.  I grew up in a family without a lot of money, but we always had a home and food.  I did live on a farm which helped with the food portion.  This day gave me a new outlook.  Occasionally, I have pitty parties for myself.  Granted these are rare, but nonetheless, I have them.  I will reflect on this morning whenever these moments occur.

I was particularly pleased to see one couple.  He removed his hat, grabbed her hand.  And said grace.  I could not hear his words, but one knew he was deep in prayer.

Steve was really impressed with the number of homeless.  As we driving to the place, we saw a building where fifteen or twenty people were laying on the pavement under the shelter of the overhang.  I cannot imagine the added hardships for people who find themselves homeless in colder climes.  If I ever become homeless, it will be in a warm climate...not New York, New England or Chicago.

We left around 12:30.  We thought we would be there till 3:00 pm, but there were too many people doing nothing.  So,.....  We had planned to have our Christmas dinner tomorrow.  Steve loves turkey.  That seems to be the one meal I can serve leftovers over and over.  If we knew that we would be leaving so early, I would have put the turkey in.  If we do this again, which I believe we will, we will plan on an early evening meal on Christmas Day

It was quite an experience.  Both wonderful and sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment