Tuesday, December 15, 2009

MOVE THAT BUS!!!

Yesterday, Steve and I went to the MOVE THAT BUS! portion of the Extreme Makeover Home Edition in Gainesville.  We enjoyed working on the build tremendously and would do that again in a Manhattan minute.


One of Steve's boyhood neighbors--a WWII  Navy vet--had a tattoo that proclaimed "Never, Never Again."  This is how we felt about going to getting that bus moved.  This was scheduled for 2:00 pm. 


We got there quite early.  I staked out my spot, but I was on the spectators side of the fence.  Since I was a blue shirt, they brought me to the house side of the fence.  Steve had already been on the blue shirt side of this fence.  During the work days there were snacks and beverages every few feet. Throughout this day, all had been removed to the catering tent about four blocks away.  During the day I made several trips bringing back packages of cookies, potato chips and other snacks--shoulda brought more.  I also made a trip to bring back lunch for Steve and me.  I rarely ate my snacks, etc.  I gave them away to folks who were not wearing wrist bands.  Also, I gave away some of my meal.  This was, of course, a good thing.


The house was not yet ready as two o'clock neared.  So, the limo arrival time was postponed (again and again and again and again).  Another hour.  Another twenty minutes.  Another five minutes. Another half hour. We were herded like cattle.  "Don't stand on the grass." The landscapers rightfully had fits about the potential of ruining the newly laid sod.  Move here. Move there.  I had a front row position which I soon lost to the tall guys. Stand and wait. Stand and wait.  "You need to be this side of the tree."  "You can't stand in the road."  ""Don't stand in the driveway."  Since, by the time the bus finnally got moved, there was no place else to go, many were standing on the grass.


Quite frankly, the spectators were treated better than the blue shirts.  They got to see everything.  I was in the half of blue shirts that was behind the bus next to the driveway.  When after many false starts and the family FINALLY "Came Home" we were in the absolutely worst position.  Could not see.  Could not hear.  Not allowed to cross the street.  About a half hour before the bus finally moved, a woman near me "needed food."  She was feeling faint.  She got the last half of my McDonald's cookie package.  This worked.


The bus was finally moved around five o'clock.  Horrible afternoon!  Hot!


I carried a sign made in lime green with red Christmas garland in the W in Welcome and the H in Home.  I was told to put down my sign as the people behind me could not see.  I don't know that they could see any better with the sign down, as I could not see anyway.  They were kind of nasty.


OK, now that I have told y'all the awful parts of the Move That Bus, I need to tell you the up side of the day...


(1)  The TV Design Team included Ty, of course, Eduardo, DiDi and Pauli.  Those of you who watch the show will recognize those names.  There are many assistants to these people.  Ty was very busy.  We saw little of him.  But the other three were extremely gracious and accessible.  They signed autographs, posed for pictures--usually with people from spectators or blue shirts, sometimes by themselves--and were all around wonderful, charming people.  (Some of the assistants--not so much!).  Steve and I had our picture taken the day before with DiDi.


(2)  Since we had gotten there early, there were few limitations on where we could go.  We went to the back yard to find a beautiful gazebo with grill and fridge for outdoor picnics and gatherings--stone, cypress--beautiful.  We also got a peek at the room in which one of the beds we worked on was available to see.


(3)  We met some of the most wonderful people.  Some will become friends.  We ran into a lady who sat with us at the original rally.  At the rally she was one of the many people who had been turned away from helping as volunteers.  She was a blue shirt, too.  She aggressively pursued her goal.  I think that the two of us will become friends.  Lots of formerly strangers coming close and working together.


(4) Gator cheerleaders and Albert and Alberta were there to cheer us on.  (The basketball team, Albert and Alberta and cheerleaders were there the previous day as well).  Albert and Alberta are the mascots for the Gators.  They were fun and posed often for pictures with workers and spectators.  For those of you who do not know who the Gators are...you obviously are not sport fans...well, let me just say that Gainesville is the home of the University of Florida.  GO GATORS!


(5)  The upholsterer's daughter who works for a local department store (not Sears) waited on Ty to help him with some lighting decisions.  That helped bring the whole build even that much closer.


(6)  The shuttle service was quite good.  And the drivers (although they had worked so mannnnnnnnny hours) were delightful, funny and all around good joes.



(7)  This should be #1  THE BUILDER--Ricky Strickland, his family and staff--were wonderful.  It seemed as though they never got rattled.  Did a wonderful job.  I would call ARK Remodelers and Construction any time.  I cannot say enough good things about them.


Working on the build, I would rate an A-; Moving That Bus, about a D+. 

For piictures:  Gainesville.com and click on news

No comments:

Post a Comment