Thursday, October 31, 2013

IS IT a Secret Society?

Boston Red Sox MLB FlagOctober 31, 2013 aka known as Halloween aka the day after Boston won the Baseball World Series.
 
Boston won this year's World Series in its home field of Fenway Park.  It was the first time Boston won the Series in its home stadium since 1918. Of course, they have only won three since that time...all in the last ten years.  Bedlam and celebration!
 
I have been known to say that I have been a SOX fan since my father was a boy (he was AVID!).  I did have a stint of being a Brooklyn Dodger fan until they broke my heart and moved somewhere.  Don't bother telling me where.  I don't care (but I really do know).  But their move sent me to join my Dad as a SOX fan.  We used to listen to night games together and actually had the opportunity to go to a game together along with my mother and Steve early in our marriage.  My Dad had gone to Fenway many times with some of the groups in which he was involved.
 
Well, I'm sure any one from New England or a sports fan knows this news.
 
Today Steve and I went to Disney World (Magic Kingdom as we both reallllly like Thunder Mountain) to belatedly celebrate my birthday.  We wore our Red Sox hats.  His is old and beat to death.  Mine is old and looks new. 
 
Anyway, I really thought we were part of a secret society.  At every turn we found someone wearing a Red Sox cap, hat or shirt.  Some of the shirts were more specific (David Ortiz or #34).  Every single one of them made some sort of special wave or sign or "Go Sox" (I guess that was the secret pass word) or some other reference (several secret pass words appears).  Some gave us thumbs up (which I whole heartedly returned).  Some did the "rock on"  thingy with their hands.  Some touched their shirts or hats.  I never touched a hat so much.  Not only did the place rock with Sox fans that showed their colors with clothing items, but many of the employees commented with the secret pass word as we were going into an attraction or ride.  Sometimes people "out of uniform" came up to us with their pass word or the secret sign from a distance. One lady, on her phone, "thumbs up!"   It was really kind of neat and funny. 
 
I had no idea so many people wondering around a theme park in Florida would be fans of that wonderful team.
 



 
We had no idea that a portion of Thunder Mountain's terrain resembled portions of Yellowstone National Park.  Near the end of the ride is terrain that is built to look like Mammoth Springs and several "geysers,  paint pots, and springs" that resembled areas of Yellowstone.  After having seen them this summer, it added another dimension to the ride. 
 

 



Chip & Dale
 

 
Jungle Ride
 

No comments:

Post a Comment