Monday, April 5, 2010

Amaranth Installation, ARPC and Methodist Cantata


Last month I was so busy gallivanting that I little time to write and post in my blog. I hope to make up for it this month.



Saturday, March 27, I drove down to Englewood yet one more time. Lynne and I have been together for one reason or another for seven out of ten days. Probably will not see her and John again for several months. Lynne and I joined the Order of Amaranth several years ago. Lynne, due to her work schedule and some other miscellaneous events happening in her life, had never able to accept the offering of an office before. I probably will not be an officer due to the lack of proximity to that Court. Anyway, Lynne was offered the office of Trustee #3 (she gets to work her way up to Trustee #1 in two years).

I have been active in the sister organization, OES, for forty years and have held various offices—both installed and as a pro temp. Lynne has never done this before, so it was with great excitement that I traveled to her “first” installation. It was very pretty. I had never seen an Amaranth installation. Lots of pomp and circumstance, but very nice. I sat with her husband John, who was introduced as Master of his Lodge. I knew most of the people as I had once been a member of OES in Englewood. It seems that many of the same people are members of both organizations. It felt as though I was at home.

I spent Saturday night at their house. Sunday morning, I had planned to go to the church I attended when I lived down that way. A big surprise came when Lynne said she wanted to go with me. John works on Sundays sometimes. He had already left when we arose. The Pastor has five biological children (four boys and one girl) and some adopted/foster care as well. I don’t know his adopted children well. The oldest biological is in his early twenties and the youngest is now driving (can’t be…I am not that old!). The oldest and Dave and I have a special bond. I met him when he was five. Watching him grow up was as though I had a youngster myself. He was home-schooled, but he and several others had a graduation to which we went.

In many of the churches “up north” (New England) the choir sits in the choir “loft” for the entire service. In Florida, it seems, in many of the churches the choir is “excused” after the anthem and goes to sit with their family. My buddy from all those years gone by often sits with me when--on the rare occasion--I can attend. I did not think of it this time as Lynne was with me. But, as soon as the choir disbursed, my friend sat with us. Always good to see him.

There definitely is a difference in PCA and PC (USA)—both part of the larger Presbyterian denomination…PCA is much more conservative.

Palm Sunday brought all the youngsters coming down the aisle waving their palms. Pretty sight! Kids are so cool when they participate in something like this.

After the service, I hot-rodded my way back up I-75…three or so hours in traffic. Made it home in time to leave again.

The local Methodist church is a joyful musical place. They offer free cantatas for Christmas and Easter in their historic church building. I love the shape of the church and its sanctuary. The choir is in the front of the church (another thing I find different from most New England churches where the choir is usually to the side, in the back or actually in a “choir loft.”)

There have been a couple of times where this cantata became a community event. The local Roman Catholic Church has lots more room. They have banded with the various other churches in town (mostly the Methodist) and have had the Easter cantata in their facilities. Wherever it is held, it is always beautifully done. Steve has gone to most of them with me. Music ir food will almost always draw him.

By the time we got home, after 7:00 pm, we picked our way through a meal, which was unusual but okay.

A great weekend with lotsa different friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment