Monday, February 8, 2010

A Play and "Dinner" Theatre

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers--the Title Says It All.

We had this weekend off from popping kettle korn. So, I did some non work related fun things. (Work is almost always fun, but there is a time to be away from that as well).

In Hudson, where my long-time friend lives, there is a delightful little dinner theater club. It offers matinees several days a week in addition to a few evening performances. That may sound a little backwards, but we do live in Florida, after all. So, many people no longer drive after dark, so many things are designed to cater to these folks. The name of the theater is Show Palace.

Several months ago, my OES group thought it would be fun to go. At first they were going to get a bus, but that never quite worked out. It was decided to car pool instead. Since it would have been out of my way to get to the car-pooling area --and, perhaps could spend some time with Beverly--I picked up my tickets a couple of weeks ago. I mentioned to the woman with the tickets that I would not need to be included in the car pooling portion. In one ear… The group assembled at the designated place. Yeah, the number of tickets came out right (there was a correct number), but there were not enough people waiting to car pool. After waiting who knows how long, they moseyed on down to the Theatre and hoped. Approximately twenty of us went. When they saw me, dah, DAH! All accounted for!

Lynne (a member in Englewood) drove up to meet us. She has been under some challenging circumstances of late and really needed to just be able to sit and relax and laugh. Worked well for both of us.

I left my house fairly early in the morning, after going to the Masonic Lodge in Williston for their bi-monthly breakfast.  (AUCE for $5--a real value).  Their menu includes any combination of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, hotcakes, French toast, biscuits and sausage gravy, coffee and OJ.   Usually, about thrity or fourty people show up regularly for this time of eating and fellowship.  Most of us are "regulars" for this good deal..1st and 3rd Saturday 

I knew that Bev was working at her church rummage sale. So, I continued on past the theatre and went to her church. The first thing I found was a couple who shared my maiden name (which is very unusual). They spelled it differently by one letter, but it was pronounced the same. We chatted a bit. I gave them my email. I hope to hear from them soon.

I found Bev in the craft and bric-a-brac section. I was not there to buy. I have enough stuff and need to start getting rid of much of it. Visited with her. Found the book area. Bought two. Bought some candles from Bev’s booth. They put everything in plastic bags with little stickers on them to show that they have been paid. Someone stands at the exit to check. Actually, this time there was a couple.  The man of the couple at the door had on a Boston Red Sox hat. Knew he had to be okay. I showed him my packages. He said he knew I had to be okay as he had seen me spending some time talking to Bev. Then he bragged to me that, “he bet he knew her longer than I have.” As it turns out Bev’s husband and this gentleman worked together in Pennsylvania. Yeah, I guess that gives him some seniority. But, I played my “Not unless you have known her since before eighth grade” card. I trumped him. We all laughed.

After my visit, I drove back to the Show Palace. Within a few minutes we were allowed inside. We had assigned tables, but not assigned seat. Somehow, Lynne and I were the first to our table. A hostess came to each table to announce when one could go to the buffet. We were near the end.

A salad bar—nothing extraordinary here. The mac and ham salad was pretty good. Then, to the hot table—good grub! Veggies included corn and a medley (oh, so good—broccoli, regular carrots, yellow carrots, snap peas). Red potatoes (for which I did not bother as potatoes are something I can live without). Delicious penne with a stroganoff sauce. Yum! Breaded Scrod, good stuff. Steamship carved roast beef. Several desserts, including a piece of bundt cake at our place. Coffee and ice tea were included. There was beer, wine and mixed drinks for those so inclined. Since I am a tee-totaller, I ordered the ice tea when the others ordered their wine. All around excellent meal.

Then, it was time for the play. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! I had seen the movie when I was a kid with Howard Keel (I think or maybe Gordon MacRae) and Jane Powell. I remembered the brothers were named Biblically and alphabetically—Adam, Benjamin, Caleb, Daniel, Ephraim, Frank and Gideon. Those of you who are well acquainted with the Bible know that Frank is NOT a Biblical name. It appears that the Mom could not find a name that started with an “f.” So, she named him Frankincense (because he smelled so good???). The play was delightful…lots of singing, high energy dancing and laughter. We don’t see stuff like this these days.

It was set in Oregon's backwoods in 1850.  The set was rustic, but very appropriate and well done.  One of the funniest (or weirdest or maybe, ironic) moments for me was when Milly with her very tiny suitcase, opened it up and pulled out a huge white linen table cloth to place on the table for the brothers.

I asked my mother about having seen the movie. She remembered seeing it. August 18, 1955, hurricane Diane came through Connecticut causing much flooding, destruction of property, and human life. The night of August 17 we had gone to the drive-in in the pouring rain with the windshield wipers slamming back and forth. I had always thought I remembered that it was Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! that we had seen that night. My mother could not remember that one way or the other, but said she knew that my sister (a horse nut) did not want to leave as the movie was about a horse. But, of course, in those days, the movie theaters, including drive-ins, showed two movies. So, maybe we are both correct. I would put more store in an adult’s memory than an eight year old kid, if I wew to put money on it, however.

Christopher Sanders (Adam) and Sarah Arikian (Milly) and the rest of the cast were fun to watch.

After the theatre closed for the matinee and everyone left, I stopped at Bev’s for tea and coffee cake (like I really needed more to eat). We had a good visit. Having left the house around 9:00 am, I got home around 7:00 pm. Long day. Lots of driving. But, oh such much fun.

This is not one of my Value trips, but I guess even those of us who are cheapskates splurge occasionally. Well, maybe there is value there, but it is higher in cost than I usually spend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment